Top Ten Books I Read Because of Another Blogger
Top Ten Tuesday is a feature organized by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s Top Ten Tuesday is devoted to books you read because another blogger wouldn’t shut up about them made them sound irresistible. When putting this post together, I scoured my bookshelves, trying to remember the story behind each book I bought. It didn’t take long for me to realize that I bought almost all of my books because of other bloggers.
Truly, the number of books on my shelves has grown exponentially since I started blogging. I buy IYL recs all the time. I buy things people suggest in Top Ten Tuesdays or Waiting on Wednesdays. I buy things I see on other bloggers’ Goodreads shelves. I buy things I hear about on Twitter (and then usually can’t remember who talked about them). I buy a lot of books, and I usually buy them because of other bloggers. I now have Post It notes all over my desk reminding me of who told me to buy what book, but this list is just a small look at some books I’m excited to read (or have read) because of YOU.
- Sloppy Firsts (and the rest of the Jessica Darling series) by Megan McCafferty: I read these books because people talked about them on Twitter nonstop. (Why yes, Anna, I am talking about you. You, yes, you. And also Jen.) I did a semi-readalong with Ginger and Tara, and then we discovered that none of us are very good at pacing ourselves, but it was still a lot of fun. And those books are AMAZING. I know Jamie is now reading and loving them, and I love seeing other people tweet about them as they discover them.
- The Kid Table by Andrea Seigel, Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John, Gigged by Heath Gibson: These were all featured over at That Cover Girl. Not only do they have great covers, they all sounded like excellent reads, so naturally I had to buy them. (Basically, I’ll do whatever Capillya tells me to do. Especially if it involves book buying. There are quite a few other books on my shelves because of her, but I’ll stop at three.)
- Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King: I loved Jamie’s review of this one. I’d already been thinking about buying it, but her review definitely tipped me over the edge.
- Bitter Melon by Cara Chow: I bought this because of a review by Steph Su.
- Divergent by Veronica Roth: I bought this because April was a little bit pushy about it. But for good reason.
- Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard and Take Me There by Carolee Dean: I bought these, among a bajillion others, because of Kari.
- This is cheating, but for number ten, I’d like to list just a few of the books I’ve purchased because of IYL posts: Beautiful Americans by Lucy Silag, Candor by Pam Bachorz, If I Have a Wicked Stepmother Where is My Prince? by Melissa Kantor, So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld, Dairy Queen by Catherine Murdock, The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl by Barry Lyga, Pants on Fire by Meg Cabot, You Wish by Mandy Hubbard, Leap Day by Wendy Mass, Life on the Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers
- Honorary Mentions: These are some of the books I’ve gotten because of twitter talk, but can’t necessarily attribute to one person; feel free to take credit if you think they were your fault. I Capture the Castle, A Brief History of Montmaray, Jellicoe Road, North of Beautiful, John Belushi is Dead, Mostly Good Girls, Sea, Anna and the French Kiss, Not That Kind of Girl, A Blue So Dark, How I Live Now, Stolen, A Match Made in High School, I Will Save You, The Girl Who Was on Fire, Never Let Me Go